Should I give my dog joint supplements?
While once considered only a large or senior dog health concern, supporting your dog’s joint & mobility health can help improve the quality of life for dogs of all shapes and sizes. From very active dogs to overweight dogs, joint health should be a top health goal for proactive pet parents in 2020!
Benefits of Joint Supplements:
· Lubricate and cushion joints to support daily mobility
· Improve flexibility, strength, and shock absorption
· Support cartilage production
· Maintain joint fluid to support an active lifestyle
· Help repair damaged cartilage
· Protext existing cartilage and lower risk of future injuries
· Reduce inflammation to ease pain and discomfort
Types of dogs who can benefit from boosted joint & mobility support:
· Large breeds
· Adults and seniors
· Overweight or carrying a few extra pounds
· Performance, agility, and sporting/working
· Suffering from arthritis
· Recovering from an injury
· Struggling with cold weather and/or other environmental triggers
Luckily, there is an enormous body of literature and evidence surrounding the health benefits of several trusted ingredients related to joint health:
Glucosamine: Glucosamine is an amino sugar that aids in joint support and mobility by helping to maintain a thick joint fluid. Our glucosamine is naturally derived from shellfish, and carefully ground to form a delicious meal topper that is easy to incorporate into any meal type.
Chondroitin: Chondroitin is an element of connective tissue that helps maintain joint, ligament, bone, cartilage, and tendon health. Sourced from cow cartilage, our chondroitin is carefully ground and typically paired with glucosamine for a 1–2 punch when it comes to providing joint nutrients.
Turmeric (Curcumin): Turmeric is commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to provide joint-related relief. Clinical research has demonstrated anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, but it is rarely found in commercial dog food. When evaluating a turmeric supplement, it is critical to be on the lookout for the level of the most important component of turmeric, curcuminoid. Curcuminoids are compounds within turmeric extract that are the most beneficial. Our turmeric extract contains 95%-curcuminoid and is sourced from India, the most prevalent region for turmeric. Because of its highly concentrated nature, a tiny bit of this powder goes a long way!
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM): MSM is an organic source of sulfur that helps promote healthy joints by keeping inflammation in check.
Below are our top 3 things to look for when selecting a joint and mobility supplement for your dog (beyond the ingredients themselves):
1. Ingredient Level: Since every dog is different, it is tough to know exactly how much of a specific ingredient that your dog needs in order to get the most out of it. While weight charts are available and a great place to start, activity level, age, and other factors can all play a role. DIG labs™ offers a customization service that we co-developed with a board-certified veterinary nutritionist to fine-tune the appropriate level for your dog based on these factors and more!
2. Quality: Look for high-quality ingredients, including when they are garnered and where they are sourced from!
3. Form and Bioavailability: Ideally, nutrients should be consumed through a dog’s food to maximize their ability to be digested and absorbed. Tendons, ligaments, and bones provide outstanding sources of joint-rich nutrients that can be incorporated into your dog’s meals, or as treats and chews. That’s why our supplements are sourced from nature whenever possible and minimally processed to retain as much power as possible.
Question about joint and mobility health? We would love to talk with you — email us!